Sunday, July 29, 2012

Step by Step

For the next few weeks it is going to be difficult to find interesting things to talk about.  I have 22 ribs to build, and it will be pretty repetitive.  But I will try. 

The first photo here shows one of my joints.  I decided I needed to take a photo or two of these joints.  They all end up getting covered by gussets.  I know they are there, but nobody else ever will. I am contemplating building a "show" rib.  The ribs really are pretty, and one particularly built as a wall hanging seems like a good idea. 





Building these ribs is really relaxing.  It requires slow and patient work.  My usual procedure is to mark the piece and make a preliminary cut just to the "waste" side of the pencil mark.  This always ends up with a part a touch too long.  I use the disk/belt sander to sand off about 1/2 of the pencil line and then re-check the fit.  If still too long, I sand until the pencil line just disappears.  If still too long, I make a new pencil line and repeat the procedure.  It is kind of a fussy method, but it helps from taking off too much material. 

The next photo is an overall photo of the wing rib jig with a partially completed rib.  I cut and fit all the capstrip before I start gluing and installing gussets.  Just the way I do it.  Do any of you from Wagbuilders Group glue things up as you go?

The bits of business card provide clearance for the spars.  One needs about .010" to .015" clearance to make sure the rib can be slid onto the spar.  The business cards mic out at .013".

You can also see the syringe I use to apply glue and the small table saw I use to make rough cuts.  I use the bastard cut file instead of sandpaper to clean up fuzzies and make small adjustments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment