Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ponderings

As I am awaiting materials, I have taken some time to meditate on this project. 

This project is in contrast to my usual approach to projects.  Usually, I like to have all materials, parts, tools and information in my possession before starting the project. As an example, I have almost everything I need to complete the basics of  my model railroad (a decades long project) squirreled away, including locomotives and rolling stock.  The only way I could to that with the airplane project is to sell my Cessna 150, which would leave me with nothing to fly until the Traveler is complete.  That is AT LEAST 5 years away.  No airplane to fly is unacceptable.  So, I am acquiring materials, parts, tools and information as I go.  Quite a change.

Another subject of my meditations has been the quality of the parts going into the finished product.  As stated in the beginning, this project is in honor and memory of Hollister (Holly) Young.  Holly was a man who took great care in all he did and loved excellent workmanship by others.  Even the smallest tasks he did were done thoroughly and to the best of his ability.  He loved to spend time in an addition to his home because of the incredible workmanship of the carpenter who built it. 

If this project is going to truly honor Holly, every piece has to be of the best workmanship I can manage.  No corners can be cut, no part that is less than the highest quality can be installed.  Even each individual gusset that I have been cutting must be as close to perfect as I can make them.  Holly could spot shoddy workmanship from across the room.  So every little part, even the seeming inconsequential gussets, that no will ever see in my lifetime once the airplane is covered, has thoughts of Holly in the fabrication.  Anything less than excellence would not honor Holly's memory.

This project is such a major challenge, and I am having so very much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment