Monday, April 28, 2014

Two Forward, One Back

Here is a photo of the parts, at this point, for the second upper aileron pulley:

You may be wondering why it appears that there are two top strap blanks, one longer than the other.

The answer is that I did not have my head fully in the game.  The shorter one was cut out first.  It will end up in the trash.  The top strap is supposed to measure 2.70" between the hole (not yet drilled) centers.  Not paying full attention, I fabricated the first attempt 2.70" long overall.

The holes will be drilled in the longer, and correct length, top strap after bending. It is advisable to drill holes after bending to be sure the holes end up in the correct location.  Bending can introduce errors in the hole locations if the holes are drilled before bending.

Not only is this sound advice to be found on the EAA website, I can personally attest to its wisdom. How do I learn these things?

One other interesting point on these parts. It took me two months to fabricate the first top aileron pulley bracket.  If I hadn't made the measurement mistake, the second one would have taken a little over an hour. As it stands, the assembly is between 1/2 and 3/4's of an hour from completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment