Thursday, April 24, 2014

More Pulleys

So I started fabricating the top/rear aileron pulley brackets.  At first my attempts were centered around the pulley choice from the previous post.  It didn't work very well.

Then I remembered a comment by internet contact, Mike Finney (who just happened to take Reserve Grand Champion, Plans Built at Oshkosh last year), about roller bearing pulleys.

I went shopping again and found the roller bearing pulleys.  Here is one alongside the aluminum pulley with the bushing.

As you can see, the roller bearing pulley is a phenolic pulley, but with a sealed roller bearing.  This is a very nice pulley and really makes sense as the center component of the aileron pulley assembly.

Here are the component parts of the pulley assembly.


The hardware-store nut and bolt will be replaced with proper AN hardware when my back-ordered shipment arrives.  The bracket and the top strap are fabricated from .050" 4130 steel.

And here is the completed (well, almost) assembly.

The basic concept and design comes from another internet contact, Marty Feehan.  He was kind enough to send me photos and drawings. You can see how this assembly mounts in the previous post "A Brief Hiatus".

The bracket and top strap need final cleanup, priming and painting.  I have one more of these to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment