Friday, October 12, 2012

Stack-o-Ribs

Here is a stack of finished ribs ready to be moved up to the hangar.   Things are coming along.





I was corresponding with an internet friend a couple of days ago who is a lot further along on his airplane than I am on mine.  He let me know that he had built all of his ribs in 10 days.  At my pace, I will be lucky to finish all my ribs in 10 months.

Of course, he had some advantages. He is retired and he lives in Arizona.  The advantage of being retired is obvious.  Arizona?  The curing time of the adhesives is highly temperature dependent.  He could glue up a rib and set the jig in the desert sun.  The rib would be safe to pop out of the jig in no time.

Here are a couple more setting up on the jig.

My venerable old sander quit this evening.

I have been nursing the old girl along, but the bearings finally packed it in this evening.  I took the belt off in hopes of getting a few more hours, but it just wasn't going to happen.  They don't make them like this anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment