Friday, October 5, 2012

Off & Running Again

My EAA Technical Adviser came over to my shop to take a look at what I am doing and to discuss adhesives. 

We tested some Titebond III joints and determined that the Titebond III will give a satisfactory joint.  However, I am still switching to the T-88 epoxy.  There are some definite production advantages.  The T-88 manufacturer (SystemsThree located here in Puget Sound country) specifies that the product cure with zero clamping pressure.  That means no more staples.  While it doesn't take long to install the staples, pulling them is a time-consuming pain.

The conclusion that the Titebond joints are satisfactory eases my mind on the ribs I have built so far.  There is no need for me to start over.

The adviser is very please with the quality of my work so far.  I was even able to give him a tip.  He has used an Exacto razor saw to miter his capstrip.  I have found that cutting it roughly to length and then doing the final shaping on the disk sander to be both faster and more precise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment