Saturday, June 23, 2012

Once the information is traced, I drilled 1" holes at each intersection, ala Tony Bingelis. Those holes prevent the rib from being glued to the jig.  (BTW, in previous post, for "fig" read "jig"). 

The bits of dowel are locking cams that hold the capstrip in place.  I got this idea from one of the videos on the EAA site.  The little cams exert an astounding amount of force. 

In modern times, we often adopt things that are intended to make our lives easier, but sometimes work the opposite.  Case in point, I have no easy method of cutting the dowel cams by hand.  I only have power tools.  I tried to cut them on the radial arm saw.  They randomly shoot all over the shop.

So I tried the table saw.  At least they shoot off in one direction and I can stand beside the saw and out of the line of fire.  Pretty funny really. 


Now I need some materials to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment