Thursday, November 8, 2012

Short Ribs - Not on the Grill

All of the "normal" sized ribs are complete:

It makes quite a nice pile.  There are 12 aileron ribs and 8 full-length ribs.  Still to fabricate are two tip ribs (slightly smaller cross section), two tail ribs that go behind the fuel tank bay,  two leading edge ribs for in front of the fuel tank bay, two leading edge ribs that match the tip ribs, and 14 leading edge ribs. 

I started the tail ribs today.

These ribs extend from the front of the rear spar to the back of the wing.  Here are the longitudinal members cut and fit.  The steel rule aligns the end of the members exactly with the front edge of the spar.  I also had to add a couple more alignment blocks right at the spar so that the vertical member would not push the horizontal members out of alignment. 

Here is the first tail rib fabricated and glued up.  It sure didn't take long. Now I just need to wait for the adhesive to cure before I can pop this one out of the jig and start on the second one.

I had hoped, dear readers (and there are an astonishing number of you), to treat you to some aerial photos today.  We finally got a small break in the weather and I abandoned work to take advantage of it.  However, when I got airborne I found that a "significant convective event" (thunderstorm) that I thought was stuck up against the mountains, was moving towards the airport.  Not wanting to get shut out of my home field, I circled back and landed after a short flight.  Sorry, no photos.  But I did get to fly.



No comments:

Post a Comment